Most people are truly terrified of making Crème Brûlée. The name is intimating & it is thought of a fancy dessert at a fancy restaurant BUT I am here to change that perception. Crème Brûlée is actually pretty easy to make. Even if there is no torch…Crème Brûlée can be achieved!!!
Crème Brûlée is the French term meaning “burnt cream”. It is a creamy, delicious dessert. One of my family’s favorites for sure! It is basically cream, sugar, egg yolks, & vanilla. Simple ingredients, simple cooking method…the name well…so FRENCH!
At least give it a try & if it’s not so easy, leave me a comment!
Tools: measuring cup, measuring spoons, whisk, medium saucepan, sheet tray, ramekins, torch
- 1 quart heavy crème
- 1 vanilla bean, split & scrapped
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Bring cream, vanilla, & vanilla bean to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the cream/vanilla mixture from the heat, cover, & let seep for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together ½ cup sugar & egg yolks. Blend together until the mixture lightens in color. Add the cream a little at a time while constantly mixing with a whisk. Place ramekins on a sheet tray. Pour the cream mixture into ramekins. Place the pan in the oven on a rack. Pour enough water in the sheet pan to come a little over halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake Crème Brûlée for 45 minutes until just set. The center of the Crème Brûlée should still be a tad bit jiggly.
- Take ramekins out of the water bath & refrigerate overnight.
- To brûlée, remove the ramekins from the refrigerator & let sit out for 15 minutes. Place one Tablespoon of sugar over the top of the ramekin. Shake the sugar to get it spread evenly. If there is too much sugar, feel free to pour some out. Using a torch, melt the sugar until slightly brown to get a crispy top layer.
Kitchen Tips ♡
♡ Using the broiler of the oven instead of a torch to brûlée works well enough. Turn the broiler on & brûlée for 2-3 minutes keeping a constant eye on them. If they need more time, keep them under the broiler until desired brûlée is reached.
♡ Try a variation of Crème Brûlée by making it Chocolate Crème Brûlée!