Yep. I was recently on the radio to compete in the Sexiest Valentine’s Day Contest. I will not spoil it for you to let you know whether I won or not, but I added a link below for you to watch my 17 minutes of fame! Being in the contest was amazing and I got to meet one of my idols, Richard Blais for whom I could go on and on about. Not only have I served him before in a restaurant that I worked at, my husband and I are also big fans of his starting from the beginning of his Top Chef days. The contest for me was not whether I won or I lost, it was about being a part of my favorite morning show, 105.3 The Show San Diego, that I listen to religiously, and being able to meet my culinary hero, Richard Blais.
While driving my kids to school one morning, I heard this contest being announced on The Show. I thought to myself I could totally do this! Whenever I have called radio stations in the past, I have always experienced a busy signal, so I figured there was no way I’d get through this time either. I pushed send on my phone, and wouldn’t you know it, the phone screener picked up without the phone ringing one time and said, “105.3.” At that moment, I started nervously pondering to myself what was I doing? I almost hung up, and then I instantaneously decided that I could totally do this.
I initially thought I would make a lava cake with ice cream, which is what I told the phone screener I was making, knowing that I could change my mind if I needed to. Is there anything sexier than a lava cake? The only problem is that I had nowhere to bake and could only use a microwave to reheat my dish. The thought came into my mind about making Crème Brûlée because I could make it today and serve it tomorrow. I had a torch and all the ingredients in my home, including some chocolate. My final dish was decided on – Chocolate Crème Brûlée.
I got up at the crack of dawn to head down to the radio station, where I was met by some fabulous people who invited me into their studio. Look to see what happens next…
>>>>>>>>>Watch the whole thing to see if I win!!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
- 1-quart heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Bring cream, vanilla or vanilla bean to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the cream/vanilla mixture from the heat, cover with aluminum foil, & let seep for 20 minutes.
- Place the chopped chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Place the bowl into the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir, then put it back into the microwave for another 20 seconds and stir again. Continue to heat then stir until the chocolate is just melted.
- In a bowl, mix together ½ cup sugar & egg yolks. Blend together until the mixture lightens in color. Add the cream a little at a time while constantly mixing with a whisk. Add in melted chocolate until completely incorporated.
- Place ramekins on a sheet tray. Ladle the cream mixture into ramekins. Place the pan in the oven on a rack. Pour enough water in the sheet pan to come a little over halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake Crème Brûlée for 45 minutes until just set. The center of the Crème Brûlée should still be a tad bit jiggly.
- Take ramekins out of the water bath & refrigerate overnight.
- To brûlée, remove the ramekins from the refrigerator & let sit out for 15 minutes. Place one Tablespoon of sugar over the top of the ramekin. Shake the sugar to get it spread evenly. If there is too much sugar, feel free to pour some out. Using a torch, melt the sugar until slightly brown to get a crispy top layer.
Kitchen Tips ♡